Sunday, June 28, 2009

TOMMY'S ESSAY

Soon Tommy's parents, who had recently separated, would arrive for a conference on his failing schoolwork and disruptive behavior. Neither parent knew that I had summoned the other.

Tommy, an only child, had always been happy, cooperative, and an excellent student. How could I convince his father and mother that his recent failing grades represented a brokenhearted child's reaction to his adored parents' separation and pending divorce?

Tommy's mother entered and took one of the chairs I had placed near my desk. Then the father arrived. They pointedly ignored each other.

As I gave a detailed account of Tommy's behavior and schoolwork, I prayed for the right words to bring these two together to help them see what they were doing to their son. But somehow the words wouldn't come. Perhaps if they saw one of his smudged, carelessly done papers.

I found a crumpled, tear-stained sheet stuffed in the back of his desk. Writing covered both sides, a single sentence scribbled over and over.

Silently I smoothed it out and gave it to Tommy's mother. She read it and then without a word handed it to her husband. He frowned. Then his face softened. He studied the scrawled words for what seemed an eternity.

At last he folded the paper carefully and reached for his wife's outstretched hand. She wiped the tears from her eyes and smiled up at him. My own eyes were brimming, but neither seemed to notice.

In his own way God had given me the words to reunite that family. He had guided me to the sheet of yellow copy paper covered with the anguished outpouring of a small boy's troubled heart.

"Dear Mother . . . Dear Daddy . . . I love you . . . I love you . . . I love you."

4 comments:

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Ow....masterwordsmith, you made me cry too....
How lucky I am to live with lovey dovey parents, and with Brad whom I've signed a truce with....sigh....XOXO purrr purrrr purrr

Unknown said...

Hi Cat-in-Sydney,

That is terrific news...I can almost hear the pitter patter of tiny feet in the not so distant future, dearie :-)...

Indeed, this is a most beautiful tale...and you are blessed with lovey dovey meowriffic parents!!!

And may I a Bradpurfect mate!.

Take care and have a lovely day frolicking with Brad :-)...

Now ain't I naughty hehehe???

hugs

Zendra-Maria said...

So touchingly put wordsmithee, a master u are! I almost wept - but got heart of stone - so couldn't wring out the tears (sigh)...

Tommy's lucky to have you as his teacher/mentor :)

Unknown said...

My dear Kak Zendra,

Kids in the past are not the same as those that we see now...In the past, the need for parental love was greater...*sighs*

Thanks for dropping by dear Kak Zendra.

Take care and have a good week.

Salam to you and yours.