Tuesday, September 8, 2009

MEAN MUMS

Mean Mums

Someday when my children are old enough to

understand the logic that motivates a parent, I will tell

them, as my Mean Mum told me: I loved you enough . .

. to ask where you were going, with whom, and what

time you would be home.

I loved you enough to be silent and let you discover

that your new best friend was a creep.

I loved you enough to stand over you for two hours

while you cleaned your room, a job that should have

taken 15 minutes.

I loved you enough to let you see anger,

disappointment, and tears in my eyes.

Children must learn that their parents aren't perfect.

I loved you enough to let you assume the responsibility

for your actions even when the penalties were so harsh

they almost broke my heart.

But most of all, I loved you enough . . . to say NO when

I knew you would hate me for it.

Those were the most difficult battles of all. I'm glad I

won them, because in the end you won, too.

And someday when your children are old enough to

understand the logic that motivates parents, you will

tell them.

Was your Mum mean? I know mine was. We had the

meanest mother in the whole world! While other kids

ate candy for breakfast, we had to have cereal, eggs,

and toast.
When others had a Pepsi and a Twisties for lunch, we

had to eat sandwiches. And you can guess our mother

fixed us a dinner that was different from what other

kids had, too.

Mother insisted on knowing where we were at all

times. You'd think we were convicts in a prison. She

had to know who our friends were, and what we were

doing with them. She insisted that if we said we would

be gone for an hour, we would be gone for an hour or

less.

We were ashamed to admit it, but she had the nerve to

break the Child Labor Laws by making us work We had

to wash the dishes, make the beds, learn to cook,

vacuum the floor, do laundry, empty the trash and all

sorts of cruel jobs. I think she would lie
awake at night thinking of more things for us to do.

She always insisted on us telling the truth, the whole

truth, and nothing but the truth. By the time we were

teenagers, she could read our minds and had eyes in

the back of her head. Then, life was really tough.

Mother wouldn't let our friends just honk the horn

when they drove up. They had to come up to the door

so she could meet them. While everyone else could date

when they were 12 or 13, we had to wait until we were

16.

Because of our mother we missed out on lots of things

other kids experienced. None of us have ever been

caught shoplifting, vandalising other's property or ever

arrested for any crime. It was all her fault.

Now that we have left home, we are all

educated,honest adults. We are doing our best to be

mean parents just like Mum was.

I think that is what's wrong with the world today.It just

doesn't have enough mean mums!


PASS THIS ON TO ALL THE MEAN MOTHERS YOU

KNOW.
(And Their Kids!!!)

*Thanks to Angela who sent me this article.

2 comments:

Tiger said...

Hi Paula,
I had the "meanest" mum I thought I had!
Turns out she was the best mum ever, although I only had her for the first 12 years of my life.
Everyone should have a mean mum!

Unknown said...

Hi Tiger

Agree wholeheartedly with you!!! I also had a mean mum for the first 11 years of my life. Yup - everyone should have 'mean' parents.

God bless you and yours always.