Friday, November 26, 2010

Capturing Moments In Life

The baby is teething, the children are fighting, and my husband just called and said to eat dinner without him. Okay, one of these days you'll shout, "Why don't you grow up and act your age?" ….. and they will.

Or, "You guys get outside and find yourself something to do and don't slam the door."

….. and they won't.

You'll straighten up their bedrooms all neat and tidy with bumper stickers discarded, bed-spread tucked and smoothed, toys all displayed on the shelves, hangers in the closets, animals caged, and you'll say out loud, "Now I want you to stay this way!"

…. and they will.

Then you'll prepare a perfect dinner with a salad that hasn't been picked to death, a cake with no finger traces through the frosting, and you'll say, "Now there's a meal for company."

…. but you'll eat it alone.

And you'll say, "I want complete privacy on the phone! No dancing around, no pantomimes, no demolition crews! Silence! Do you hear me?"

…. and you'll have it.

No more plastic tablecloths stained with spaghetti, no more anxious nights under a vaporizer tent, no more dandelion bouquets, no more iron-on patches, no more wet-knotted shoe strings, no more tight boots, or rubber bands on pony tails.

Now, imagine your lipstick with a point. No baby sitter on New Year's Eve. Washing clothes only once a week. No PTA meetings, no car pools, no blaring radios, having your own roll of tape, no more Christmas presents made out of toothpicks and paste, no more wet-oatmeal kisses, no tooth fairy, no giggles in the dark, no knees to Band-aid.

Only a memory of a voice crying, "Why don't you grow up?"

And in the silence will come the echo, "I did."

-Author Unknown-

6 comments:

Wan Sharif said...

Living alone?

Tiger said...

Although my kids are still young, I am beginning to think this way, and dread the day they'll go out on their own and leave their dad behind!

Anonymous said...

"Puns for Tuesday". You didn't make it UP yourself, did you?

Tut, tut. I found a typo.
"When is rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP.
When is doesn't rain for awhile, things dry UP."

Unknown said...

Dear Saudara Wan Sharif

No..hope I never will...But if I do one day, I hope that the moments I captured in life will comfort me in my loneliness...:-)

Take care and have a good week.

Salam

Unknown said...

Dear Tiger

Lovely to hear from you!

I am already feeling this way...I only have a few more years before Nick leaves home...

But I am capturing the precious moments of his growing up years and I am sure you are doing the same with yours!

Take care and God bless you and yours!

Cheers

Unknown said...

Dear Anon # 3

Thanks! I missed that errata but have corrected it thanks to you.

Have a great day!

Do keep in touch.

Cheers