Tuesday, February 3, 2009

CAN YOU REMEMBER?

Whenever I chat with my contemporaries these days, it is quite common for us to lament about our failing memory recall. In fact, there are many times when I go to a room only to stand there and wonder why I went there in the first place. I know of friends who cannot remember where they put their car keys, or where they parked their car, or have forgotten to take out their garbage! Fact is, such moments of forgetfulness happen to almost everyone but more frequently as we get older leaving us to wonder if we are losing our edge!!

What may seem like a faltering memory may in fact be a decline in the rate at which we learn and store new information. My older relatives have been advising me to take gingko but being one who is not a keen pill-popper, I have not even tried it once.

A friend advised me to learn a new language in order to stimulate the brain cells so off I went to German class with my younger boy. It was quite alright at the beginning but gradually became tougher because if I could remember thepronunciation of the word, I would forget its spelling and vice versa . Worse still, there were times, especially when it came to numbers, when I answered my German teacher in French!!!! Quite embarrassing indeed!

As such, I sought some practical alternatives and have been using the following to try to keep sane and cognitively fit!

1. WRITE IT DOWN.
Now, with the amount of things I have to remember in any given day, I have given up trying to stuff it all into my memory bank. When I want to remember something, the very best thing to do is write it down. Then, when I need to recall it, it will be there for me in an instant.

2. KEEP IT TOGETHER.
Initially, I used to write memos all over the place and then I forgot where I wrote them! Now, when I write down things I want to remember, I keep them in one consistent place to avoid the frustration of looking around for my memos.

3. MAINTAIN GOOD HEALTH.
My neighbourhood pharmacist who has a pair of twins has advised me to eat healthy foods, get enough sleep, and exercise. These are all important for your memory, staying focused and being alert.

4. RECORD YOUR THOUGHTS.
Sometimes I might want to remember something, but it's impossible for me to write it down, such as when I am driving. I record my thoughts, or parking space number, or a phone number I see on a billboard in my hand phone.


5. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.
If you keep saying you have a bad memory, you'll probably continue to have a bad memory. It's important to have a motivated, I CAN remember attitude. I constantly tell myself I have a good memory and I am trying my best to improve it.

6. SEND YOURSELF E-MAIL REMINDERS.
There are many free e-mail reminder services available. I simply type in what I want to remember, such as a birthday, anniversary or event, and then I receive an e-mail reminder when the date is approaching. Facebook has been a great help in this area.

7. POST STICKY NOTES.
Those wonderful, little sticky notes can be amazing memory helpers. Want to remember something before you leave the house? Jot it down on a Post-It Note and stick it on the inside of your door. You'll be sure to see it as you're getting ready to walk out. Have to make an urgent call first thing in the morning? Leave a Post-It Note on your telephone.

8. SET TIMERS AND ALARMS.
Take advantage of alarm clocks and timers throughout the day. Have to take the clothes out of the wash at 3:00? Set your alarm clock to remind you. Want to leave for the basketball game by 6:15? Set your timer to beep a few minutes before.

9. USE VISUAL REMINDERS.
Associating a visual image with something you want to remember can improve recall and help you focus. I especially like visual reminders for remembering my goals. If your goal is to take a trip to a beautiful island in a few years, keep a magazine photograph of the island right on your desk. If your goal is to own your own business one day, find a picture or ornament that will help remind you of this goal each day.

10. RELAX
Tension and stress are associated with memory lapses and managing stress improves memory.

11. CONCENTRATE AND FOCUS
If you want to recall something later, pay attention. Try to reduce distractions and minimize interferences.

12. SLOW DOWN
If you’re rushing, you may not be focused or paying full attention.

13. ORGANIZE
Keep important items in a designated place that is visible and easily accessed.

14. REPEAT IT
Repetition improves recall; use it when meeting new people and learning new things.

These are a number of things I am doing every day that have helped me to preserve my mental abilities. I just hope these can help us enjoy a better quality of life as we get older. All the best to you, dear readers! To take a line from the Bee Gees song, "Don't forget to remember me!" Do visit my blog again and please, leave a message or an email. I would love to hear from you! Thank you. ;)

No comments: