Wednesday, July 8, 2009

THE STORY OF A RUNAWAY

I took the $5.00 that was left on the table for my weekly allowance and walked out. After walking for about a hundred meters, I stepped into the bushes and took my jeans and T-shirt out from my bag and immediately changed. I have made a decision that I was not going to school and will not go back to where I came from. Nothing and no one mattered except that I had to get out.

I knew where I was going and I have planned on how I was going to get there. I walked to the main road and hitched a ride. A 5-tonne lorry stopped and the driver asked where I was going. He said he could dropped me half way through my journey. I agreed and sat in silence, refusing to answer any question until he dropped me.

The next vehicle that picked me up was a sedan. The man said that he was on his way to the same destination. Somehow he knew that I was a runaway. He asked me questions and I only answered those that I wanted to. It was a long two hours journey but he did not push me to talk and left me with my thoughts.

When we reached the jetty, he invited me to join him for lunch. I was hungry as I had not eaten since morning and knew that if I rejected, I won't be able to afford my own with the meager cash that I had in my pocket.

I thanked him and we parted, never knowing each other's name.

It was three hours later and after approaching many strangers when I finally reached the address that I had in my hand. My sister was home and was speechless to see me. We had not met and contacted each other for several years and there I was at her doorstep.

My visit was short and brief. I thought that I could get away from the sorrowful state at home and find solace some place else. What I witnessed was domestic violence and physical abuse. I could not take that and I bade farewell to her. I felt sorry for her for having to live a life that our mom had to go through. But what can a runaway teen do but move on.

I did not know where to go and to whom I could turn to. I can't ask for help from the few friends that I had because their parents would send me to my dad or take me to the police. But if I did not decide on something, I would continue to be a runaway, maybe even a hobo. I knew that I would never want to end in the streets.

I thought of my own mother. That was the only person and place left. Could I turn to her? We've separated for a long time and I thought that she hated me for living with my dad and his wife. Although it was not my choice, I think she had refused to accept. I knew that because all my mails were returned without being opened. And I received words that she did not want to hear or see me ever.

I had to know for sure and I figured the worst that could happen would be getting chased out and continue to become a runaway. I did not want to think of what would happen next.

It was an emotional and difficult reunion. We had lots of arguments as the days went by but we both tried to make things work.

And we did. I finally felt worthy and have a place that I can call home although the standard of living was lower than where I came from. I did not have to keep running away any more.

I told my step mom that I chose to live with my own mother. I went back to school and completed my high school education.

To this day, I think that was my biggest decision in my teenage life. After that episode, I have built the courage to face any situation and make my own decisions. I have learned to trust my intuitions and to have faith that things will work out no matter how bleak they may appear.

I wish though that parents and teachers are more sensitive. At times I wonder who is actually the delinquent. Parents and teachers only see the wild child and the truant. They fail to help kids from opening up. They do not want to listen. They think that the runaway teenagers are rebellious and stubborn.

I am glad that I made it through. I was so naive then. I wish I could thank those strangers who have helped me. I could have ended being raped or murdered. But here I am, grown and living a life like how I should.

- Author Unknown-

No comments: